Role of Safety Barriers in Perimeter Security
In order to protect employees, guests and the building functions and services from any disturbances such as unauthorized vehicles approaching close to or entering high risk building, Perimeter security is adopted. Depending on the value of the building and the size of the threat, protection is accomplished by establishing appropriate standoff distance. This is possible with the use of safety barrier system to provide the necessary standoff. The barriers may be along the site of the property line, within a large campus or site, placed separately of the property line. The barrier can form an interface between the public and the private space along the property line.
A perimeter security system consists of two main elements,
– A rigid barrier such as a concrete barrier that prevent unauthorized pedestrians or vehicles to enter the area
– A control point that can screen and inspect anyone before they pass through the barrier
Some benefits of having safety barriers for the security of a public space is listed below,
– In any public place, it is important to have a perimeter security for the safety of the building and its occupants and to maintain the presence and activity of the public. Having safety barriers can provide the appropriate balance between them.
– Barriers are available in various sizes and shapes. By choosing the right barriers, the aesthetic value of the place is improved. It gives security in the context of enhancing the particular spot and the area around it rather than as a separate or redundant system whose only purpose is to provide security.
– This barrier system provides a singular path to the approaching cars and the access is screened in an orderly way, allowing one car at a time. The last thing the security of the building wants is to have a pile up before the gate.
– It provides the ideal area separation service for vehicles. Barricades can divide various parts of any location especially the indoors to block access to anyone other than the employees of the building. Therefore, the employees can avoid any hindrance by getting mixed up with the visitors.
– It can also be made to form a pathway to the ticket counter or any other services.
– It can give additional protection to the assets of the building.
– It is the best way to guide cars in the parking lot and to deny access to spaces that are reserved for any important personnel.
– It can avoid any accidental entry of visitors to any “No-Go” zones. Visitors aren’t always alert enough to notice any warning signs near the door.
Barriers are like the brakes in your car. It slows you down but it can also make you go a lot faster.